Keeping the inside of your microwave clean is challenging, especially if you’re not using a high-quality microwave cover. These practical accessories cover your microwaved dishes, preventing hot liquids and foods from splattering all over the interior of your machine.
Still, there are hundreds of covers from which to choose. But we’ve got the low-down on the best microwave covers available, making it easy for you to choose a suitable option that fits your needs!
Table Of Contents
- Find Your Best Microwave Cover Here!
- Things To Consider Before Buying a Microwave Cover
Find Your Best Microwave Cover Here!
- Best Overall – Tovolo Collapsible Microwave Cover
- Runner-up – ZFITEI Microwave Platter Cover
- Best Budget – Chef Craft Classic Microwave Cover
1. Tovolo Collapsible Microwave Cover
Finding room for a microwave cover can be challenging when kitchen storage space is limited.
Fortunately, this microwave cover collapses down into a flat disc. This quality makes it ideal for compact kitchens and crowded cabinets!
Even better, this food microwave cover features lid vents that double as drainage holes.
So you can use this cover to keep food splatter away from the inside of your microwave, but you can also use it as a colander.
- It is collapsible enough to fit into small cabinets and drawers
- It can be used as a colander
- Dishwasher-safe and BPA-free
- Not the most durable option
- Plastic and silicone can retain food smells
2. ZFITEI Microwave Platter Cover
This unique cover is hangable, ensuring your limited storage space isn’t impacted. But its small handle openings aren’t the only features to take note of.
If you’ve struggled with microwave food covers that were too small, you’ll appreciate this option’s incredible width (11.5 inches / 29.2 centimeters).
It’s large enough to cover even the broadest microwave-safe dishes but compact enough to fit into most microwaves.
The only potential drawback of this cover is its topside magnetics, which can become fire hazards if their protective plastic coating wears away.
- Cover handles feature holes that allow users to hang the cover on a hook
- It is wide enough to cover almost any microwave-safe dish
- Built-in steam vents help prevent excessive sogginess
- Not safe to use for more than ten continuous minutes
- Included magnets could become a fire hazard
3. Nordic Ware Splatter Microwave Cover
Some microwaved dishes benefit from steaming, including vegetables and soups.
This two-pack could be an excellent choice if you’ve been searching for a capable set of microwave covers that can safely trap steam.
Besides, while some plastic microwave covers are made of frosted plastic, these are crystal-clear. This feature makes it easy to monitor your meals in the microwave!
- Two covers for the price of one
- More transparent than other plastic covers
- Smaller vents to keep dishes moist
- Cannot withstand high heat settings
- The trapped steam may not be preferable for all
4. Chef Craft Classic Microwave Cover
This budget-friendly microwave cover features everything you need to keep your microwave mess-free. It’s tall enough to fit over most meals and wide enough to fit over plates and turntables.
The side vents allow steam to escape but don’t make the top slippery. There isn’t a handle, which could be a significant drawback for some shoppers.
It’s also worth noting that this cover can melt when exposed to the highest microwave temperature settings.
- One of the most affordable options
- Durable enough to last several years
- You can use it for washing raw ingredients
- It doesn’t feature a top handle for easy removal
- It can melt at high-temperature settings
5. ROSE RAIN Vented Microwave Cover
This microwave food cover is durable and sized to fit inside most microwaves. While it’s not as tall as other options, it’s wide enough to ensure that the turntable can spin freely.
Due to its topside vents, you can also use this cover to wash veggies and fruits. These vent slits are also small enough to keep roaches and flies away, so this cover can protect your unattended food.
The only notable drawback of this cover is its handle location, which is near the vents. This design feature can make the cover slippery with collected steam.
- Large enough to allow the turntable to move freely
- Washes clean in just a few seconds
- One of the most durable BPA-free plastic covers
- It may be too short for larger dishes or bowls
- The top handle can become slippery due to steam
6. Tempered Borosilicate Glass Plate Cover
Plastics can stain or capture lingering smells. As such, you may prefer to use a glass microwave food cover. This tempered borosilicate cover is an excellent option, as it’s temperature-safe (won’t shatter due to extreme temperatures) and roomy.
The silicone top handle doesn’t retain heat, making it safe to touch when removing the cover from the microwave.
Additionally, you can use this cover to protect baked goods and other meals that might be lingering on your countertop.
Overall, this may be the best glass microwave plate cover!
- Is dishwasher-safe and entirely plastic-free
- Can withstand sudden temperature changes
- It can be used as a countertop cake dome
- One of the priciest microwave covers
- It can shatter if dropped onto a hard surface
Things To Consider Before Buying a Microwave Cover
There are several top-notch microwave covers from which to choose.
But before you purchase one, you may want to take a moment to consider a few crucial factors to ensure you get the best microwave cover for you.
One of the most frustrating aspects of buying a new microwave food cover is finding out that it doesn’t fit inside your microwave!
For that reason, you’ll want to take a few moments to measure the width of your microwave’s plate and the height from the plate to the top of the interior chamber.
You’ll also want to consider the size of your dinner plates.
Not all microwave covers are made of the same materials. While most are made of BPA-free food-grade plastic, others may be made of silicone or borosilicate glass.
Microwave food covers made by disreputable manufacturers may be made of soft plastics that melt when exposed to high temperatures.
Additionally, some polycarbonate plastic food covers may contain harmful chemicals, like bisphenol-A .
So, before you buy a new cover, you’ll want to confirm that it’s made of safe, high-quality material.
Ease of Cleaning
The best microwave food cover will keep your microwave’s interior mess-free.
But if the cover stains easily or is a struggle to keep clean, you may find that cleaning your microwave after each use is the easier option!
While many of the best microwave splatter covers are easy to wipe and rinse clean, some hold on to stains or shatter during the cleaning process. For example, glass covers can be prone to sudden temperature changes.
After removing them from the microwave, these covers can shatter if you rinse them with cold water (or expose them to cold air). Tempered glass covers made of borosilicate glass are far safer, as they’re better able to withstand temperature changes .
A high-quality microwave cover should be food-safe, appropriately sized for your microwave (and dinner plates), and easy to wipe clean.
Any of the best microwave covers we discussed could be an appropriate choice, but you’ll want to take a moment to measure the interior of your microwave (and the width of your plates) before selecting one.