If you spend a lot of time in the kitchen, you’re probably no stranger to the strong odors and occasional burst of smoke that comes with whipping up your favorite dishes.
Despite being a natural part of cooking, smoke and odors can be a real nuissance!
The good news is that by installing an island range hood, you can get rid of those scents, smells, and smoke clouds for good.
I’ve done the research and put together a list of the best island range hood reviews for you to check out. Let’s take a look!
Best-Rated Island Range Hood Reviews
- Best Overall: Zephyr Modena Island 42″ Stainless Steel Island Hood
- Best Budget: Cosmo 668ICS750 30 in. Island Mount Range Hood
1. Zephyr Modena Island 42″ Stainless Steel Island Hood
The Zephyr Modena Island hood actually comes in both 36″ and 42″ sizes. That makes it ideal for kitchens of all sizes.
The hood is made out of stainless steel, making it super durable. Plus, it’s got sleek finishes that make it look great no matter where you’re placing it.
In terms of power, the fan has five different burst speeds for you to use. You can adjust those up or down, but the maximum CFM is 600.
- It has a Quick-Lock Installation system, so it’s easy to get set up in your kitchen.
- It’s got a low-profile body, so it fits well in smaller kitchens.
- It has multiple lighting settings, so you can use it for a number of different cooking situations.
- It’s not convertible to ductless, so you’re permanently stuck with a vented system.
- It’s a premium model, so it’s no the expensive side.
2. Forte Cortivo Series 36 Inch Island Mount Convertible Hood
This Island Mount Convertible Hood is part of Forte’s Cortivo series. The hood measures 36 inches and is made out of sleek stainless steel.
This hood has four different speed settings, as well as an adjustable height. That way, if you want to move the island up or down, you can adjust it as you see fit!
The only real downside to this hood is that it doesn’t come with the vent cap and duct. You’ll have to purchase those separately.
- It has an adjustable height, so you can move the island hood to the perfect location in your kitchen.
- It’s convertible, so you can switch to a ductless model in the future if you want to
- The vents are removable and dishwasher safe, so they’re easy to clean.
- The vent cap and duct aren’t included, so you’ll have to spend a bit more to buy those separately.
3. GE Profile 36″ Stainless Steel Island-Mount Chimney Hood
GE’s Stainless Steel Island Mount Chimney hood is super durable, thanks to the sturdy stainless steel material it’s made out of.
It has four fan speeds with a maximum CFM of 450. While this is a bit on the lower end, it’s still powerful enough to get rid of unwanted odors in your kitchen.
The hood also has dual cooktop lights, so you can clearly see what you’re doing while you’re working at the stove.
- It has removable vents and grease filters, so you can easily clean out the hood.
- It’s made of stainless steel, so it’s super durable.
- It has hidden controls, so it tends to look a bit sleeker in your home.
- It’s a premium hood, so it’s on the higher end of island kitchen hood prices.
- The blower’s CFM is only 450, so it’s not as strong as some other island hoods out there.
4. AKDY Island Mount Range Hood Cooking Fan
AKDY’s island mount is a stainless steel hood with painted black finish. The black color makes it super versatile, and gives it a unique design edge.
The device has four speed levels that run at 120 volts of power. It’s a powerful machine, but it won’t eat up too much of your electricity bill.
- The fan only has a decible output of 65, so it’s super quiet.
- It’s super affordable, so it’s great for those who are on a budget.
- It only has one cooling vent, so it can take a while to cool down.
- It has a limited warranty, so if you have to make any repairs you may be paying for them out of pocket.
5. Faber Glassy Isola 36 Inch Island Mount Convertible Hood
The Faber Glassy Isola hood is a well-performing device with four speeds and two LED lighting levels. The system has backlit controls so that you can use it when it’s darker, and has a single island structure upholding it.
If you’re concerned about energy efficiency, this is a great machine. It has an automatic on and off setting as well as an energy diffuse mode you can use. Both help save power without hurting the functionality of the machine!
This hood also has a remote control system, making it ADA compliant and super user-friendly.
- It has energy efficient modes, so it can save you some power and is environmentally friendly.
- It has two different lighting levels, so it’s great for different cooking situations.
- It’s convertible to ductless, so you can switch it to a non-vented system if you want.
- The hood turns off after ten minutes of use at the highest level, so if you need a lot of fan power this isn’t a good pick.
6. Cosmo 668ICS750 30 in. Island Mount Range Hood
The Cosmo Island Mount Range is a glass and stainless steel hood that looks great in any kitchen. This is a relatively inexpensive hood that will still get the job done.
It has three fan speeds, so you can adjust the level of power you need. And, all the filters are removable making it super easy to clean.
- It’s affordable, so it’s a good budget option for those who want to save some money.
- It has an adjustable height, so you can use it in your kitchen no matter what your ceiling height is.
- It’s made of glass, so it can chip and get nicked a bit more easily than a purely stainless steel hood.
7. Tieasy Island Range 36 inch Hood 700 CFM
This island range hood is super powerful, getting up to a whopping 700 CFM. It’s made out of stainless steel and tempered glass, giving it a super slick design.
The hood has a total of three different fan speeds, which go up to a noise level of 65 decibals. It also features bright LED lights that you can dim or brighten to your liking.
- It has a CFM of 700, so it’s a super powerful device.
- It has three different air speeds, so you can adjust the power of the hood according to your needs.
- It’s made of tempered glass, so it tends to undergo a bit more wear and tear than others.
How to Choose an Island Range Hood?
Now that you know about the best island range hood reviews, you’re probably itching to buy one yourself.
Not so fast!
Before you settle on an island range hood, there are a few things to consider. Here are a couple of key factors to look at before you make your purchase.
While it’d be great if you had an unlimited budget, for most of us, that’s not the case. As a result, you’ll need to think about how much you’re willing to spend on your new island hood.
Factors such as the material, power-level, and size of the hood will all affect the total cost.
Make sure that you’ve set aside enough money in your budget to get a hood that works for your kitchen.
My advice is to pick a financial range that you’re comfortable with spending. That way, you have a bit of wiggle room when shopping for a solid yet affordable hood.
Part of picking an island range hood means thinking about how much noise it will make. The louder the hood is when it’s on, the more disruptive it will be while you cook.
In general, the speed and power of the fan affect how many deciabls the hood outputs. If you’re going for the quietest island range hood you can find, you’ll want to find a hood that allows you to operate it on lower speeds.
On the other hand, if you’re okay with noisy machines, you can look for hoods with more powerful fan speeds.
Keep the decibal levels in mind as you shop for a hood to help you pick one that works for your situation.
Of course, the amount and type of space you have in your kitchen plays a big role in what type of hood you can choose.
Some kitchens are smaller than others, limiting the size of the hood that you can purchase. If you have limited space, you may need to look for island range hoods for low ceilings so that you can fit them in your home.
On the other hand, if you’ve got sweeping ceilings and tons of kitchen space, you can be a bit more liberal in your search.
Factors such as how often you cook and how much you cook can also affect what type of hood you need. If you cook more frequently, for instance, you’ll need a more powerful hood.
Think about how often you’ll be using your kitchen and how that’s going to affect the hood you need. That way, you can pick one that can keep up with your cooking habts.
FAQ About Island Range Hood
Do you still have a few questions about buying an island range hood? I hear you.
Picking the right one is a big decision, which is why it’s so important to pay attention to every last detail.
To help you clear up any lingering doubts you have about your new island range hood, I’ve put together a short FAQ to help you.
How Far Should a Range Hood Stick Out?
You want your range hood to stick out somewhere between 26 and 38 inches from the wall. If the hood is closer than 26 inches, you can inadvertantly damage it.
And, if the hood is farther out than 38 inches, it won’t be able to properly absorb fumes.
Can You Use an Island Hood Against a Wall?
Even though most people place their island hoods in floating locations, you can technically place them next to a wall. Island hoods are designed to be placed anywhere in the kitchen, including against a wall.
Just remember to check the manufacturer’s instructions first, as a few island hoods won’t work with this type of mount.
Are Island Range Hoods Effective?
Absolutely! Island range hoods are a safe, affordable, and funcitonal way of keeping unwanted fumes out of your kitchen.
They help absorb smoke and other odors that keep your home smelling nice and makes cooking much more enjoyable.
How Much Does It Cost to Install an Island Range Hood?
Installing an island range hood will cost you between $300 and $500. Remember, this price can be affected by your location, the size of the hood, the materials, and other factors.
The total installation time should come out to about three to four hours.
When it comes to picking an island range hood, you’ve got a lot to pick from. However, any of these seven hoods comes with great reviews and promising specs.
Whichever you pick, I’m confident you’ll be making a choice you won’t regret.
If you found this guide useful and are looking for more information on decking out your kitchen, be sure to check out our other posts on kitchen ranges.
You May Like