Having some flavor-packed condiments in your fridge can allow you to turn any meal from boring to the best. The Korean chili paste, Gochujang, is among the condiments you should not run out of.
Gochujang is packed with funk, umami, sweetness, and spice. Once you introduce Gochujang sauce into your kitchen, you will forever feel the need to have the chili paste in your recipes in the future.
Read on to find the eight best Gochujang sauce reviews that we have prepared for you.
8 Best Gochujang on Amazon
1. Roland Foods Gochujang, Korean Fermented Hot Chili Paste
Roland Foods Gochujang has a strong flavor.
In my experience of trying this chili paste, I marinated some chicken breast chunks in Roland Foods Gochujang overnight and then sprinkled brown sugar and some Himalayan salt. It was highly delicious!
The paste has a strong but delicious flavor. It works best for persons advancing in including hot pepper in their recipe. Starters may find this pepper paste too strong and possibly keep them off.
Roland Foods Gochujang can be used in various recipes such as ramen, kimchi, barbecue, soups, rice bowls, and bibimbap.
- It contains a hot and delicious flavor
- Best for consumers looking to follow more heated recipes.
- It works well when coupled with other spices.
- You can use it in various recipes
- It might not be favorable to consumers using Gochujang for the first time.
2. Sempio Gochujang, Hot Pepper Paste
Sempio Gochujang is great in recipes that require marinating, dipping, stir-frying, or a combination of condiments such as ketchup, salsa, and mayo. Its thick heat and consistency levels allow it spice-kick your meals more special and delicious than most chili pastes.
This Gochujang is characterized by its unique “smoky heat,” adding a deep, complex spiciness to your dish. Using Sempio Gochujang in your recipe, you will enjoy a spicy Korean taste meal with an intricately distinct touch.
For more than 70 years, Sempio has been used to make high-quality soybean pastes. Sempio is made from carefully selected and sun-dried red chiles and rice. This combo offers an umami-rich delicious heat.
Sempio is good for vegans or persons planning to follow vegan diets. The product is certified by Safe Quality Food (SQF).
- It improves heart health, promotes weight loss, supplies antioxidants, lowers blood sugar levels, and kicks up metabolism.
- Its smoky heat character adds a deep and complex spiciness to every meal.
- It works well for vegans.
- The sauce can be boring to non-vegans.
3. Kisoondo Gochujang (8oz) – Traditional Korean Red Chili Paste
If you add Kisoondo Gochujang to your recipe, your food will taste special, resulting in a deliciously spicy flavor with mild hotness.
South Korea is considered the best farming region for red chili peppers. Kisoondo is originally grown in Damyang in South Korea; its hand-harvested, MSG-free, and contains no artificial flavor.
Kisoondo Gochujang works best for users looking for hot pepper flavors.
- It’s cholesterol and fat-free
- It enhances various health benefits such as burning fat, promoting a healthy gut, increasing metabolism, and improving the heart’s health
- It is easy to get
- The spice may not be best suited for people starting to use chili pepper in their recipes.
4. Wang Korea – Taeyangcho Chaal Gochujang
Wang Korea Gochujang is great for adding a delicious taste to your dishes. The paste is tasty and versatile in boosting your meals.
I remember using Wang Korea in recipes for cooking chicken, vegetables, Shrimp, and pork, and all of them were highly tasty.
Recently, I visited Korea and couldn’t miss enjoying the Taeyangcho Chaal Gochujang chili paste. This paste has a delicious flavor and less heat than other Korean chili pastes I’ve ever used.
The only disadvantage I found in this paste is its little heat. It could be more delicious if it contained some more heat.
- It is versatile; hence can be used in a variety of Korean dishes
- No MSG
- Made by 100% Korea peppers
- It has considerably little heat and may not be favorable for consumers seeking highly heated spices.
5. Annie Chun’s Korean Sweet & Spicy Sauce
If you love gravy and sauces, look no more, this is the right place. Annie Chun’s Korean Sweet and Spicy Sauce can make or break your meal. It can salvage your poorly cooked beef, pork, or chicken if you add it the right way.
You can add this chili paste to pork, fish, steak, and chicken recipes. Some recipes such as chips and crackers can also be salvaged with Annie Chun’s Korean Sweet and Spicy Sauce.
Ensure you check the best uses for Gochujang before you begin working on your recipe. If you want to spice up any of your sauces or gravies, Annie Chun’s Korean Sweet & Spicy Sauce is a good option. The paste is mildly sweet and very spicy。
Depending on the recipe, you can increase the amount with time until you feel comfortable using the spice.
This Gochujang is designed for consumers looking for a sweet and spicy sauce. It may be uncomfortable for anyone that does not like sweet and very spicy chili paste.
- It is mildly sweet and very spicy, working well for consumers looking for sweet and very spicy dishes.
- It is highly versatile- works well when added to various foods
- The sauce does not work well when added to less spicy recipes.
6. Sunchang Gochujang Tube
This Gochujang is not only a requirement for a delicious Korean meal but also a must-use for a spicy dish enthusiast. It is among the best Gochujang on amazon.
Sunchang Gochujang has a roasted chili pepper flavor with plenty of heat and grilled rice nuttiness. The chili paste is sufficiently thick, and just a little of it goes along the way.
Sunchang Gochujang has the following ingredients: rice, red pepper, salt, onion, garlic, fermented soybean paste, seed malt, corn syrup, and water. The paste also contains about 2% of yeast extract powder.
- Easy to get
- It is thick, adding thickness to your dishes, such as soups.
- It is made from various essential ingredients
- It is highly heated and hence unfavorable for starters.
7. Chung Jung One Sunchang Extreme Spicy Hot Pepper Paste
Chung Jung paste is not extremely spicy hot as many people call it, but it has a pretty spicy taste, and of course, it is delicious. Chung Jung paste is certainly thick with a tomato paste-like consistency.
More so, it contains enough amount of salt; therefore, you should be aware of this fact when planning to purchase and use the product.
Chung Jung sauce dilutes perfectly in water and other solvents; hence easy to use in various recipes.
The sauce is salty and may not work well with non-salt consumers. This product is the best gluten-free Gochujang on this list.
- The sauce is not extremely spicy hot, as the name suggests.
- It is sufficiently thick, adding thickness to your soups and other dishes.
- The paste is available in most Korean supermarkets.
- It is salty; hence may be unfavorable for non-salt consumers.
8. Jongga Vision – Taeyangcho Sunchang Gochujang
Generally, Jongga Vision-Taeyangcho Sunchang Gochujang is commonly used to make kimchi. It has subtle but noticeable sweetness, is not too spicy, and has a standard richness.
It works best for starters wishing to add some kick in their meals but can’t enjoy it when it’s too spicy. The product is a great combination of spicy and sweet, making it a great beginner’s sauce.
You can use it for Kimchi fried rice, fried dumplings, and many other dishes requiring some heat. Additionally, it is squeezable, unlike other hot sauces that require scooping out.
If you want a steadfast, definition-proof type of Gochujang, then Jongga Vision can serve you well.
- Perfect for preparing spicy Korean meals like kimchi stew, bibimbap, and spicy chicken wings.
- Super good when added to popular food items such as tacos, ribs, vegetables, hamburgers, and pork belly.
- Made from high-quality chili peppers. The sauce is also fermented under tested and proven optimal conditions.
- Taeyangcho Sunchang contains wheat, egg, and Soybean.
- The sauce might be too spicy when preparing mildly spicy recipes.
Tips to Choose the Right Gochujang
Your preferred choice should match the taste or flavor you intend to add to your dish. Some people enjoy sweet and spicy tastes, while others like it when less spicy or sweet.
You should also check the level of salt added to the Gochujang sauce you intend to purchase.
Consumers should always check the expiry date of all manufactured products to avoid consuming already expired foods. It is risky to buy a product in bulk if its expiry date is very near.
The best Gochujang brand should add an impressive color to your meal. Foods with great colors can increase your appetite even before eating them.
The ingredients in a product form the basic definition of that commodity. Ensure the ingredients you are looking for are among the ones listed on the product’s label.
Some manufacturers are notorious for providing substandard products to consumers. Avoid buying Gochujang products from questionable manufacturers despite the prices they offer them at.
FAQs About Gochujang
Is Wang hot pepper paste the same as Gochujang?
Yes! Wang hot pepper paste refers to an all-natural Gochujang without any added MSG in its ingredients.
Is kimchi paste the same as Gochujang?
No! traditionally, Gochujang cannot be used in place of gochugaru when making kimchi. However, kimchi and Gochujang are spicy but cannot be used interchangeably.
Is Gochujang sauce the same as Gochujang paste?
No! on the one hand, Gochujang paste refers to a red-colored paste prepared from Korean chili peppers, salt, and fermented soybeans.
On the other, Gochujang sauce refers to a modified version of Gochujang paste, where the paste is mixed with other ingredients to produce a smoother consistency and more flavored product.
Does Gochujang contain MSG?
Traditionally, Gochujang should not contain MSG. However, the modern Gochujang provided in groceries is highly processed and contains MSG.
Gochujang sauce is the lifeblood of Korean dishes and foods. You cannot enjoy the Korean taste of food in the absence of this commodity. There are various types of Gochujang sauces provided by different manufacturers across the globe.
This article cannot feature all of these Gochujang. However, it’s my hope that you have liked at least one of the eight best Gochujang brands in Korea reviewed in this article. Always scrutinize these products further if you need more information before purchasing.