Heart shaped pancakes are a fun way to treat someone you love to an amazing chocolate treat. Covered in a rich chocolate ganache, these pancakes are sure to make your loved ones feel extra special.
These decadent chocolate heart pancakes are like having brownies covered in ganache for breakfast!
They are moist and fluffy, studded with chocolate chips and the silky ganache is the perfect accompaniment for a very special breakfast indulgence. They couldn’t be easier to make with a large heart shaped cookie cutter!
Your Valentine will feel extra loved when you serve these homemade heart pancakes. Nothing shows more love than making a special meal just to show that you care.
Table Of Contents
- ABOUT THESE FUN HEART SHAPED PANCAKES
- WHAT YOU NEED
- HOW TO MAKE HEART-SHAPED PANCAKES
- CHOCOLATE HEART SHAPED PANCAKES
ABOUT THESE FUN HEART SHAPED PANCAKES
- Indulgent: Chocolate heart pancakes are a fun indulgence for Valentine’s Day, and the chocolate ganache is nothing short of a dream! Chocolate pancakes filled with chocolate chips and smothered in more chocolate? What’s not to like?
- Easy to make: It’s easy to make these heart pancakes with cookie cutters. Simply place your cookie cutters on your pan and pour your batter right into the mold. Easy peasy!
- Great for toppings: It’s easy to make your heart pancakes extra special by topping them with sprinkles, heart candy, strawberry sauce, or fresh strawberries. If you’re using these pancakes for a dessert, go all out with chocolate ganache or chocolate syrup, whipped cream, sprinkles, cherries, and chocolate shavings.
WHAT YOU NEED
Many of the usual pancake ingredients, with a few chocolatey twists! Scroll down for the complete printable recipe, but here’s what you’ll need:
FOR THE PANCAKES
- Dry Ingredients: You’ll need all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Wet Ingredients: Grab some buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Mix ins: These pancakes are double chocolate pancakes, so you’ll need some chocolate chips to stir in! We love semi-sweet, but you could also use dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, or peanut butter chips!
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
Ganache is made with two simple ingredients: semi-sweet chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream.
HOW TO MAKE HEART-SHAPED PANCAKES
Heat a medium non-stick frying pan to medium heat. Grease your heart shaped cookie cutter.
Transfer the pancake batter to a batter dispenser if you would like and then place the cookie cutter in the pan and fill it with batter.
When bubbles start to form it’s time to release the pancake from the cookie cutter, using tongs since the cookie cutter is very hot! Flip pancakes and use a cake tester or toothpick to ensure that it is cooked.
Continue until all the pancakes are cooked. Serve warm drizzled with chocolate ganache, whipped cream and sprinkles if you desire.
HOW TO MAKE HEART PANCAKES WITHOUT COOKIE CUTTERS
You can make these without cookie cutters, by cutting your cooked pancakes with a kitchen shears or a sharp knife on a cutting board. Or, you can try to form a heart without the cookie cutters – start with one large circle of batter and then add two smaller ones on top. Use a knife or spatula to quickly shape into a heart before the batter cooks completely.
HOW TO MAKE THESE PANCAKES YOUR OWN
- Personalize the pancakes. Everyone loves heart shaped pancakes, especially when they’re personalized! You can use gel writers to include a name or initials on your pancakes.
- Strawberries and chocolate make an impressive combo on these chocolate pancakes! They look beautiful with whipped cream layers. They’re also amazing with strawberry sauce.
- Add a face. Heart shaped pancakes make a great backdrop for cute little faces for kids’ pancakes! Strawberry eyes and a chocolate ganache smile are sure to bring joy to your little ones.
- Make any shape you like! You can follow these same directions to make your pancakes in other shapes as well. Any cookie cutters that you have on hand should work!
MAKE AHEAD, STORAGE, REHEATING
- Make Ahead: Keep cooked pancakes in a 200°F oven to keep them warm while you are cooking the remaining batter.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the fridge, without toppings, for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: Reheat for 15 to 20 seconds in the microwave, or in a dry skillet over medium heat.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- vegetable oil or butter for cooking
For chocolate ganache:
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Whisk the wet ingredients ( buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter) together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients (baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder) together in a large bowl.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently whisk until the ingredients are combined.
- Fold in the Chocolate chips. Set batter aside to rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the pancake batter is resting, prepare the chocolate ganache. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat the ganache for 1-2 minutes or until hot. Add chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes before stirring. If not completely melted, microwave again in 20 to 30 second increments until melted. Set aside and re-warm if needed before serving with the pancakes.
- Heat a medium non-stick frying pan to medium heat. Grease a heart shaped cookie cutter. Transfer the pancake batter to a batter dispenser if you would like, and then place the cookie cutter in the pan and fill it with batter. When bubbles start to form it’s time to release the pancake from the cookie cutter, using tongs as the cookie cutter is very hot! Flip pancakes and use a cake tester or toothpick to ensure that it is cooked. Continue until all the pancakes are cooked.
- Serve warm drizzled with chocolate ganache, whipped cream and sprinkles if you desire.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 2 pancakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 517mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 5gSugar: 16gProtein: 10g